If you own a WordPress website, then you know how important it is to have a good SEO strategy to have. One of the most important parts of SEO is internal linking.
Internal linking helps users navigate through your website, keeps them engaged, and most importantly, helps search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your website.
However, manually adding links to your website can be time-consuming and tedious, and terms such as link silos and topical relevance fly around your ears. That's where Link Whisper around the corner.
Link Whisper is a WordPress plugin that provides smart suggestions for building internal links. Also, it even has the functionality to automatically add links to your website.
In this review, we take a closer look at Link Whisper and see how it can help you save time and improve your SEO.
Link Whisper's ease of use is a key benefit. Earlier we showed you how easy it is to build an internal link, even within a strict silo.
In addition, as we are about to see, we have inbound internal links page with a handy link overview for each article.
We also already saw that we have full control over the anchors, so we can make them fit completely into our SEO strategy.
In addition, Link Whisper is packed with additional options: From activating additional post types and terms to tuned limits per post. Think of ignoring certain terms, maximum number of links per post or advanced options that apply to all links.
What is Link Whisper?
Link Whisper is a internal link building tool which automatically builds or suggests links based on the written content on your page or blog post. Using Link Whisper provides faster link suggestions and thus helps with the online findability of your WordPress website.
The tool was developed out of shared frustration, how difficult and time-consuming it is to build internal links properly. A blazing fast WordPress website in combination with a powerful SEO link strategy, such as link silos, can be a powerful weapon in the arsenal of any WordPress website owner who wants to rank better.
How does Link Whisper work?
Link Whisper works by suggestively placing internal links on your site as you write articles or create content.
As you write, links are highlighted for insertions that make sense for the topic you are writing about, without interrupting the flow of your content. You can then insert the link or ignore it if it is not relevant.
In addition to representing links as you write, LinkWhisper also has a "Link Opportunities" page that shows all the potential places where you could add a link on your website.
This is useful for finding orphan pages or pages with too few outbound links.
Let me give you an example of how this works in practice.
Within WordPress, after installing the Link Whisper plugin, you have the following tab at the post or page level: "Link Whisper Suggested Links".
This section gives you several suggestions for internal links that can be added to your page or post.
Suggested links can be limited to the category (silo) the post is in.
Have you found the link that fits your strategy? Then it's as simple as checking the choice, or adjusting the suggested anchor (making it longer or shorter). And the plugin does the rest of the work.
But this is not all that Link Whisper can do. Below, we dive into all the useful features this SEO plugin offers.
To measure is to know. And that's what Link Whisper immediately addresses well with its dashboard & reporting functionalities. This important component is divided into 5 pieces:
- Link reporting
- Domain reporting
- Click reporting
- Error reporting
Reporting - Dashboard
In the dashboard you will see an overview of the link statistics. Here you will see the following important points:
- Domains most frequently linked to
- Ratio of internal and external links
- Broken links
- Orphaned pages
The dashboard provides a handy overview of my website's internal link health. I can then use this data to take action such as fixing orphaned pages or increasing the ratio.
The links report section is one of the most important parts of the plugin. Here you can add internal links to the articles on your WordPress website in an organized way.
This page will show you a list of activated post types, sorted by publication date.
For each post in the overview, you'll see some key statistics:
- Inbound internal links: The number of links this post gets internally
- Outbound internal links: The number of links this post provides to internal pages
- Outbound external links: Links to other websites from the post.
What does that look like in practice?
In the above example, you can see that the post in question has 13 internal pages linking to it. The details of these 13 can be seen by clicking on the arrow.
In addition, you can see that within this post to 5 other internal pages is linked and to 0 other the websites (outbound external links).
Using this data, you can, for example, set an action to add more external links to the article for a more healthy ratio.
Within the domain reporting section, you see information at the domain level. This includes per linked domain looks at the links per unique post and then the total number of links to that particular domain.
This data gives you more insight into which domains you link to the most. Based on this data you can, for example, set out certain actions. Think of building relationships, better affiliate fees or other actions that fit your online strategy.
A new component within Link Whisper is the click reporting.
This "Clicks Report" tracks how often each link on the website is clicked. This provides useful insights into your best converting links, as well as links that may not be performing so well.
The report is composed of the name of the post, its publication date and type and then how many links were clicked in the article.
Want more detailed reporting at the page level?
Then you click on the "View Detailed Click Report." Which then prints out a report at the daily level.
Here you see the number of clicks per day in a graph followed by a handy data table.
The final component of Link Whisper reports is the error reporting page. This page gives you an overview of the number of broken links on the website.
Often, broken links occur because of internal permalink changes, deleted pages or external links that have been changed.
Whatever the reason, a broken link is bad for both the visitor's user experience and SEO.
Every so often, scan your website for broken links by pressing the "Scan for Broken Links" button.
For each broken link, an overview shows you in which post this broken link is located, what URL it is (Broken URL), what anchor text it has, what type of link it is (internal or external), the status and the date the error was discovered.
Next, analyze the broken links and then fix the problems.
2. Auto linking
A second powerful functionality of Link Whisper is the Auto linking feature. With this feature, you let the plugin automatically an internal link create to a page that has a specific keyword (phrase).
Automatic link building can be a powerful weapon in your arsenal and can save you a lot of time.
Building automatic links with Link Whisper is quite easy:
- You enter the keyword (or phrase) of your choice, which will also become your anchor text.
- You specify the URL to be automatically linked to
- You select the options for this autolink rule, such as "maximum 1 link per post"
In addition to creating these automatic link rules, you will also find an overview of all already created rules and their results.
As you can see in the above example, the plugin searches for the keyword "Sonos One". Each time the tool has found this keyword (twice in this case), it automatically adds a link to the specified URL.
3. URL Changer
Another functionality within this tool is the URL Changer.
Within SEO, almost everyone is familiar with the 301 redirect: The permanent detour from one page to another URL.
A useful functionality for when permalinks have changed, but a Double-edged sword. With 301 redirects, you lose link authority per redirect and potentially waste your limited crawl budget from Google.
The URL Changer functionality allows WordPress to redirect to the page in question. It rewrites all internal links to go directly to the page instead of the chain of redirects.
It is as simple as specifying the old and new URL , as you are used to when setting up redirects.
Link Whisper has many different options and settings to fine-tune the plugin exactly to your liking.
The settings are divided into 4 sections:
- General Settings
- Content ignoring
- Advanced Settings
I will list which settings I use for each category, but this obviously varies by website and SEO strategy.
For general settings, I make sure the following settings are correct:
- Links in new tabs: Active
- Ignore numbers: Active
- Language: Choose this according to the language of the website
- Words to be ignored: Words that should not be used as anchors
- Post Types to Process: Minimal posts, myself I also use pages.
- Term types: Choose by strategy, I let these out myself.
- Post statuses to create links for: published posts only
- Number of sentences / paragraph to skip: 3
- Max outbound links per post: unlimited
- Max inbound links per post: unlimited
- Add Destination Post Title to Links: No
- Don't Suggest Links to Posts Older Than: unlimited
- Max Number of Suggestions to Display:unlimited
- Pages to Completely Ignore from Link Whisper: add pages here that link whisper should ignore
- Don't Show Suggestion Ignored Posts in the Reports: No
- Posts to be Ignored for Suggestions: Add posts here that link whisper should ignore
- Categories to be Ignored for Suggestions: Add here the categories that the plugin should ignore
- Posts to be Ignored for Auto-Linking and URL Changer: Add posts here that should not be picked up by auto-linking or the URL changer
- Posts to be Ignored from Orphaned Posts Report: Ignored posts within orphaned page reporting
- ACF Fields to be ignored: Any ACF fields that may be ignored
- Links to ignore clicks on: Enter here the URLs of links that should not be included in link reporting
- Don't add "nofollow" to links with these domains: Do not add nofollow to these domain names. Adding these URLs will not cause existing nofollow attributes to be removed.
Within the advanced settings, you have many different settings that give additional control over plugins and added links:
- Only suggest outbound links to these posts
- Domains Marked as Sponsored
- Mark Links as External & Interal
- Custom Fields to Process
In addition, it has a wide range of options in which I will highlight a few:
- Internal and external links open current or new tab
- Relative link mode
- Avoid two-way linking
- Counting non-content and related post links
- Ignoring certain type of links and image URLs
- Connection to GSC
- Target Keyword resources and suggestions
- Deletion of data
Link Whisper Pros and Cons
A good review naturally includes overview of the pros and cons of Link Whisper.
So let's take a look at what makes the tool good, as well as not so good.
- Easy to use
- Quick internal link suggestions
- Relevant link suggestions (within silo)
- Orphan pages quickly insightful
- Broken link checker
- Powerful reporting
- Automatic links
- Ability to customize anchors
- Some suggestions are not helpful
- No External link suggestions
- Link building remains complex, so some options can be overwhelming
Link Whisper price & discounts
Now that you know what link whisper can do and what the pros and cons of the SEO tool are, it is useful to know what this plugin costs.
SEO currently offers 3 different licensing models:
- The single-site license: Made for 1 website, convenient for personal use.
- The 3 site license: Created for 3 websites, useful when you have multiple sites in your portfolio.
- The 10 site license: Useful for agencies with multiple websites.
As you can see above, Link Whisper with no current promotion is $77 per year for a 1-site license, $117 per year for 3-sites and $167 for 10 sites. Now the plugin quite often has promotions and discounts that can be accessed through the link below.
No current promotion? We are currently busy arranging a special $15 discount code for Link Whisper from website builders.
Current promotion: $25 discount
Link Whisper FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Do you still have questions despite reading this article? Then you're probably not the only one.
Below we have tried to answer as many frequently asked questions as possible.
Is your question not among them? Then feel free to leave it as a comment on this article.
Link Whisper is suitable for anyone with a WordPress blog who is concerned with SEO and the internal link building aspect of it.
Amateur bloggers who do not focus on SEO at all may ignore this plugin.
Link whisper is not free. It has a pay license model.
Link Whisper has discount codes and promotions every so often. Where the most common one is $$15-25 off license.
Yes. Outside of English, Link Whisper is usable in Dutch, Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish and Russian.